Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Co-Teaching: Relationships, Identity, Values...

Relationships, Identity, Values--

Picture this....Desks in teams (communities) of 4. Eight teams dispersed across the room. Groups of 4, and the rare 3 form teams (communities) of learning. Each member of the team is responsible for each other. They work with one another, support one another, experience success with one another, learn together. This is the foundation for the class that my co-teaching partner, Mr. Van Tress and I begin the 2010-11 school year.

As of the first week we have impacted this class in a way that I believe is very positive. Students of all abilities are interacting directly with their teachers, with each other, and with the content. Students who are typically shy, reserved or disinterested are asking questions in front of the class. I have seen volunteers make mistakes and discuss alternative ways to solve problems. I have seen acceptance and empowerment, group and individual decision making, the acceptance of personal challenges, and what feels like comfort and safety. I have witnessed and observed growth in one weeks time. Growth in ways one can only experience when connection, identity and values are shared openly and with trust and care.

We have a foundation! Now we must build, grow, reflect and discover as a class, as a co-teaching partnership, as a community. This is the power of inclusion!!

I am excited to continue onward on this adventure, I hope to see you along the way.

1 comment: